Yep the Koch brothers’ pals in Congress really do want to kill the poor, and the quickest way to do that is cut them off from things like emergency rooms and maternity care.
From the New York Times:
Consensus Eludes G.O.P. With Health Vote Looming
- The hard-line Freedom Caucus met with President Trump but failed to reach a consensus on changes to the House bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act.
- They are pressing to eliminate federal requirements that health insurance plans provide basic benefits like maternity care, emergency services and wellness visits.
UPDATE: But it’s even worse. . .
More on what the Zealots want to cut from the McClatchy Washington Bureau:
House Republicans, looking for a deal to secure their health care legislation, may scrap one of the Affordable Care Act’s most important consumer protections: requiring individual health insurers to cover ten essential health benefits.
The benefits are:
- Pediatric services, including oral and dental care
- Pregnancy, maternity and newborn care
- Outpatient care
- Emergency services
- Prescription drugs
- Mental health and substance abuse services
- Laboratory services
- Rehabilitative services
- Prevention services and chronic disease management
Without the mandatory coverage of essential benefits, the health law’s limits on out-of-pocket spending would be “essentially meaningless” because it applies only to those essential services, according to a blog post on Thursday by Timothy Jost, an Emeritus law professor at Washington and Lee University.
The health law’s ban on annual and lifetime coverage limits also applies only to essential benefits, meaning they too would be eliminated under the still-evolving GOP bill.