Plus an editorial cartoon that just fits the bill. . .
We begin with this 14 January 2015 headline from Reuters:
Carlos Slim becomes top New York Times shareholder
- Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim has become the largest shareholder of New York Times Co after exercising warrants to double his stake in the publisher to 16.8 percent.
- Entities affiliated with Slim exercised the warrants he bought in 2009 when he loaned the company $250 million during the height of the financial crisis.
- New York Times, controlled by the Ochs-Sulzberger family through Class B shares, paid back the loan in 2011.
Then came that infamous footage of the presidential candidate boasting of grabbing women by the, er, ah. . .you know. That provoked umbrage captured in a headline, dated 14 October of this year. from the London Daily Mail:
Trump calls billionaire Carlos Slim the unseen hand behind ‘baseless’ New York Times attacks as he says the Mexican mogul has turned reporters into his ‘corporate lobbyists’
- Donald Trump accused Carlos Slim on Friday of using his position as a New York Times investor to smear him
- Slim owns 17 per cent of the newspaper and is also a six-figure Clinton Foundation donor
- The Republican nominee said in North Carolina that Slim had turned the Times’ reporters into corporate lobbyists to defend his interests
- Spokesmen for Slim, the Times and Hillary Clinton all deny that there’s a conspiracy to derail Trump’s White House ambitions
- At the mention of Slim’s Mexican nationality, some in the crowd chanted jokingly, ‘Lock him up!’
And another headline, dated 4 November from Agence France Presse:
Trump would wreck US economy: Carlos Slim
- Mexican telecommunications tycoon Carlos Slim warned that Donald Trump would destroy the US economy if he wins next week’s election.”
- As we say in Mexico, being a drunk is different from being a bartender,” Slim told reporters on Friday at the Montevideo Circle, a meeting of business leaders and politicians.
- Slim said a victory on Tuesday by the Republican candidate was “not very likely.”
And that cartoon, from the Salt Lake Tribune:
Pat Bagley: The Lying Press’
To conclude, this tweet excreted today by the hands of Littlefingers himself: