Soon after the 26 September 2014 abduction and disappearance of 43 students from the Raúl Isidro Burgos Rural Teachers’ College in Ayotzinapa in the state of Guerrero [previously], reports began to emerge indicating that the Mexican army may have taken part in crime.
The Mexican government, needless to say, has denied any involvement.
But now comes a report from one of Mexico’s leading investigative journalists confirms the army’s involvement and lays more blame of the government for the Attorney General’s role in the coverup..
From teleSUR English:
On Friday, famed Mexican investigative journalist Anabel Hernandez reported that she read a secret report written by former head of internal affairs for the Mexican Attorney General, Cesar Alejandro Chavez Flores, which says officials from Mexico’s military, federal police, and the attorney general’s office itself “were present for all of the criminal events against” the students from the Ayotzinapa Normal School.
According to Hernandez, the “most important conclusion” of the report, written by Chavez Flores and reportedly signed off on by the former Attorney General, Arely Gomez, before her own October resignation, is that the captain of the 27th Battalion of the Mexican army was directly involved in the disappearances.
On the night of Sept. 26, 2014, a busload of students from the Ayotzinapa Normal School, an Indigenous teacher training school renowned for its activism, was pulled over in the southwestern state of Guerrero on its way to a demonstration in support of striking teachers. During a confrontation 6 people were killed, 25 injured, and 43 of the students were disappeared.
While the Mexican government continues to claim that the 43 students were killed by drug lords with the complicity of local police, several independent investigations have raised serious doubts about the story, suggesting national police and military involvement.
Hernandez also said that the yet to be released internal affairs report confirms an earlier leaked report by the Attorney General’s office that the former director of criminal investigations, Tomas Zeron de Lucio, had planted evidence and used brutal torture to help fabricate the government’s version of the events.
The report Hernandez read appears to be the fruits of an investigation into the allegations against Zeron de Lucio which the government ordered after his resignation.
Hernandez also said President Enrique Peña Nieto personally ordered the suppression of the two damning reports.